Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Mary Kay Way


Recently I attended a Mary Kay meeting with Kelly Sullivan where I was introduced to the world of skincare and makeup that didn't come from Wal-Mart. To say it was overwhelming is an understatement. There is so little I know about the world of beauty. I wash my face with a bar of soap for crying out loud. *I know some women will cringe when they read that.* Please forgive me, I'm learning. The meeting is held every Monday night at Charity's Bakery (6:00- 7:30 pm) near the depot in our own home town of Cookeville. These women are incredible, and the products are amazing. I left there feeling more beautiful than I have in a very long time. These women were encouraging, hilarious, open, kind, and supportive. You definitely need to contact them or stop by for a free makeover one Monday night. After the meeting I asked Nikki if she would be interested in sharing her top five tricks of the trade to help all of us tomboys that struggle with the world of beauty.
-Kayla


This is Kelly Sullivan. A full time employee, Mary Kay Cosmetics Director on the side, a mom of two, a wife, and a friend to everyone. Not to mention she is gorgeous. Who wouldn't want her to help you on the road to beauty and success. Find her at https://www.facebook.com/kelly.b.sullivan.33


This is Nikki Klein. Of course she is breath taking as well. These women are beautiful on the inside and out. Nikki graciously volunteered to give us a few tips she has learned working under Kelly as a Mary Kay Consultant. you can find Nikki at https://www.facebook.com/Miss.Klein or reach her via email at nikkiklein04@gmail.com


Growing up my mother never wore makeup. The only thing she ever used on occasion was lipstick and mascara. That's it. So naturally as I got older, and started to want to impress the guys at school, I wanted to start wearing makeup. I wanted to look more grown up and to build my confidence but I was clueless as to what to wear or how to even put it on! A teenage girls nightmare! 

Now in my late 20's I have learned lots of do's and don'ts and I am going to share what I consider to be the most important tips to know about makeup.

1- Skin Care
Taking care of your skin is the most important thing ever! I highly recommend a good 3-1 cleanser and moisturizer for both day and night. Make sure your day moisturizer has at least SPF 30. You only have one face and as you get older those fine lines start to show up and suddenly looking older isn't so much fun. It never hurts to start using age-fighting skin care products. You'll thank yourself when you hit 40. 

2- Face Primer 
Face primer is very important. When you hear the word primer, you might think primer like for walls? You wouldn't paint walls without painting the primer coat first and the same goes for your face. Back to skin care, having a really good face primer helps protect your skin by minimizing your pores, help control oily skin, and places a barrier between your foundation and skin. Using a face primer helps even out your skin and gives your foundation a more flawless look.

3- Foundation
Whether you choose liquid or mineral powder the most important thing to remember is what's best for your skin type. If you are oily, you'll want oil free makeup or if you breakout easily a mineral powder may be best for you. Do your homework because as I said before skin care is the most important part. Next is color choice. You want to choose a color closest to your natural color or just a tad bit lighter. The best way to find your natural color is on your jawline. That's right your jawline instead of the back of your hand because your neck is lighter than your face and you'll want your foundation to look natural. Also make sure you are in natural lighting or a well lit area.

4- Bronzer and Blush
When using a bronzer a little goes a long way. A bronzer is to give color and define your features on your face. Apply bronzer to your neck, hairline, and underneath your cheek bone. When looking at your face, if you take your bronzer and start at your hairline, then to under your cheekbone, to below your jawline and down your neck you make the number 3. As for blush you'll want to smile and start at the apples(the round part of your cheeks) and brush back towards your hairline. Again less is more. 

5- Eyeshadow, Eyeliner, Mascara 
Eyeshadow can be tricky, takes practice and you'll need a good set of brushes. Never put foundation or concealer on your eye lids. It will cause your eyeshadow to crease. There are eyeshadow primers out there. When doing eyeshadow you'll want to start with your eye lid, then the crease, then to the eyebrow. The key to making eyeshadow look good is to blend the colors. 
Eyeliner is optional and can be worn many different ways. It really depends on what kind of look you're going for. I prefer gel eyeliner but to each their own. I also prefer a softer top line and a bolder bottom line. Depending on your eye shape you may not need eyeliner at all or will want to use a different color such as brown. 
Mascara should be applied from the root of the lash and do a zig zag motion as you go up. 

I really hope these help because the good Lord knows it took me many years of trial and error to get it right haha!

-Nikki


No comments:

Post a Comment