Wednesday, October 21, 2015

October Favorites


Fall is officially upon us. The weather has gotten cooler, the leaves are changing colors, and the fashion is getting better. October is one of our favorite months, not only because of Halloween and free candy, but because it's the beginning of the holiday season. This is the time of year when you want to make your home cozy and fill it with family and friends. Today we want to share some of our favorite things, ideas, and hobbies for this time of year.



Kayla: Ah October, the time of year when you watch Hocus Pocus while drinking a pumpkin spice latte with your fall candles lit amidst your homemade décor OR you can turn on a football game, sit on a tailgate, and watch the leaves fall, as you carve a pumpkin. The possibilities are endless. There is so much to do this time of year that it's hard to know where to begin.

One of my favorite parts of the holidays is spending time with my family & friends that I haven't seen in a while. A good way to do this is to host a dinner or a movie night. I have invited some of my family over tonight actually and intend to cook them a wonderful meal (if all goes well... and I don't set the smoke alarms off) and catch up on life. People rarely turn down a home cooked meal. Also my girlfriends and I have been doing a holiday get together for the last several years. Why not make it a Halloween movie night and finally make those cute Pinterest recipes? Or check out some haunted houses for those brave souls. (I'm not going with you, don't even ask.)

Personal Favorites this month: I finished the Dark Witch series by Nora Roberts this month, and I absolutely loved it! Also, I'm currently obsessed with buying fall candles and comfortable clothes. Forever 21 has some great oversize sheep shirts and thick knee socks. I can't think of a better combination than that. Slouchy toboggans are a must for me right now too. Fall rain and wind does terrible things to my hair, and there is nothing easier than throwing on a toboggan over a few curls before heading out! This month I've had an obsession with sushi again. If you know the Cookeville area I highly recommend the Manhattan at Fuji or the Trump at Taiko. Whatever you are loving this month enjoy it to the fullest! It's a wonderful time of year.


Caroline: Anyone who knows me knows that my favorite season is Fall, especially in Tennessee. These are some things that you can do year around but are personally much more enjoyed in October! 

If you're needing time with the girls- visit a Vineyard. Something about bundling up in your cutest Fall outfit and going with the girls to taste some wine and get some fresh air makes for a good combo of belly laughs and cute pictures. If you are near Sparta or Cookeville, Tennessee, I highly recommend Northfield Vineyards.

If you're needing time with your sweetheart- Cades Cove in the Fall. Renting a cabin in Gatlinburg is a must for anyone wanting to visit Tennessee or locals just needing a fun weekend "away"! Cades Cove in an 11 mile, one way loop of pure beauty and is located about 30 miles from Pigeon Forge in the Great Smoky Mountains. Bears are extra active this time of year there, so you won't be disappointed on seeing what the Smokies have to offer! There's nothing quite like spending times in God's creation with your significant other.... in October.

If you're needing to express your competitive side- go to a football game in Neyland Stadium. Okay, y'all know I'm prejudice because I'm a Vol for life. But seriously, even if you're only coming to Neyland to watch your team play against Tennessee, it's one of the most incredible experiences. Fall means football down South.... at least for me. Although Friday night lights and Saturday tailgates are weekend events my family revolved around when I was growing up, you don't have to know a lick about football to have a great time watching football with friends and family. We plan weddings around football and hunting season 'round here.

If you're needing a family day- corn maze, pumpkin patch, pumpkin carving.... I feel like a 20 something year old stuck in a 4 year olds body! You can keep it low cost and buy some cheap pumpkins and carve or paint them with the kids, or even make leaf piles and jump in them. If you've never jumped in a big leaf pile, well you're missing out. 

There really is just something about sweatshirts, boots, apple and pumpkin spices, bonfires, and tailgating that seem sweeter in the Fall.




Let us know in the comments below what some of your favorites are!

-Caroline & Kayla



No comments:

Post a Comment