Monday, February 22, 2016

Dessert? Yes, Please.

This is going to be an extremely honest post starting with my weight. Let me begin with a disclaimer that by no means do I think that I am fat. The older I get the more comfortable I become in my body as a woman. Also, I am not a nutritionist and I understand that everyone has different things that work for them. That being said here's my story...

Up until the last couple of years I was a complete fitness junkie. I loved weights, cardio, kickboxing, zumba, HIIT training, hiking, you name it. I was a very active person. When you stay that active you can eat much more junk food without it effecting you weight wise. Not that this is healthy for you, but it's true. I was eating anything I could because I was starving all the time.

Things really began to change a few years ago when I purchased my own home. I had fractured my foot not long after moving in, and was wearing a boot for several weeks. In that time frame my body and metabolism completely changed. Yes, my weight went up some, but I began to fill out in all the places a woman should and I loved my new figure. I took some time off from the gym and things were good for about another year when my weight started slowly creeping up, and I was becoming less active. I won't completely blame law school for this, but it definitely didn't help. I was working a full time job and in law school so my life became pretty repetitive. I had a desk job and had to read or study all the time. You know what goes along with studying when you are exhausted? A lot of caffeine and fast food. You know what goes with being tired in the morning and having to commute 2 hours to work? A large coffee and a biscuit. I became addicted to caffeine (which I am still working to decrease my intake of), and I was eating like a freshman in college without a meal card. I had to get my stuff together. After deciding not to return to law school things got a little better. I began running again, and even though I was getting better at it (I even ran my first 5 mile race) I know that running isn't my thing. During the holiday season of 2015 I have become more serious about my weight and my health.

What I've learned so far is that what I weigh doesn't matter as long as I feel good, and I am treating my body properly. I've learned that if you don't splurge you'll go crazy. I've learned to use moderation, be active when I get time (even if it's just doing lunges to the bathroom), and never being negative toward myself or my body. I've accepted the fact that I'm never going to wear a size two pants again not only because that's unrealistic for my height, but also because I don't want to look like that again. I'm a woman now, not a 15 year old girl. Women have curves, women have shape, and women respect their bodies. I will eat healthier if I gain a few pounds and start walking more now that it's warmed up outside, but I will not beat myself up for having a piece of dessert. I enjoy my life. I have recently started yoga and am working on toning up, but the main reason I do it is because it makes me feel good. I feel better about my body, and it completely clears my mind. I say just find something that works for you that you enjoy and do it! If you feel bad about your legs, do lunges. If you feel bad about your stomach, do crunches. As long as you feel good about yourself that's all that matters. Every 'body' is different, but we should all learn to appreciate what we have and embrace it instead of wishing to change it.
 -Kayla





No comments:

Post a Comment